Sunday, February 17, 2013

Victims or Victors?

A victim waits for something to happen "to" him/her (or claims something DID happen "to" him/her).
A victim complains constantly about what happened and sees no way out.
A victim lets life happen UPON him/her.
A victim feels like they have been wronged, life is unfair.

A victor MAKES something happen.
A victor is part of the SOLUTION instead of lamenting constantly about the perceived PROBLEM.
A victor happens on LIFE, does not allow LIFE to dictate the terms upon THEM.
A victor takes his/her current situation and PLOTS and EXECUTES a course of action to affect real change.

Which are you?

Which am I?

I used to be a victim as regards my health.  I was convinced that bad genes, life stress, heck, maybe even a full moon the day I was born caused me to struggle with my weight my whole life.  I lost weight on some "diet".  I gained it back because "life happened" on me and I handled it poorly.  It was like, as Dave Ramsay puts it, I was a toddler sitting in a soiled diaper, saying "I know my diaper is poopy, but it's warm and it's mine....."


And honestly?  That is no way to live.  Sitting in a mess of our own making and shouting out at anyone who will listen how unfair it is that we are sitting there. 

We did it, and we can change it.

But not if we are a victim.

One day I decided I wasn't going to be a victim anymore.  I decided that there was not ONE PERSON more vested in my health and my life than.....myself.

And I also realized something that I understand is a big concept in AA, which is "Life Doesn't Change.  People do."

And how true is that?

When I decided to become a victor, is when I realized that my habits are completely mine.  And was I going to continue sitting in my poopy "Habits of Disease" diaper?  Or was I going to make a change?

I decided I would incrementally introduce Habits of Health into my life, as described by Dr. A in his book, and I decided that my life was FULLY mine to live, and was FULLY my responsibility.

It wasn't Medifast's responsibility to make yummier and cheaper food so that I could adhere better.  It wasn't my boss's responsibility to pay me more so I could afford to do the plan.  It wasn't my Coach's responsibility to hold my feet to the fire and continue to reach out when I wouldn't answer the phone.  It wasn't ANYONE else's responsibility to change MY life.  The responsibility was mine.

So I got to work.  I put my nose to the grindstone and DID THE WORK.

While I was DOING the work, I adopted a "Can-Do" attitude instead of a "Poor-Me" attitude.

And I am SO glad I did.

So, today, will you be a victim or a victor?  Because as always, the choice is yours.

No comments: